Part of helping seniors to be more independent includes providing them with the things they need to be able to live in their homes comfortably and without fear of injury.
Things such as a raised toilet seat help seniors to retain more of their independence for longer, while maintaining their privacy and keeping them safe from injury.
As we age our mobility decreases, things such as bending over, sitting and climbing steps can become much more difficult and increase the risk of injury from falls.
Hip, back or knee surgery can also cause problems and make it more difficult for you to perform simple tasks such as going to the bathroom or taking a shower.
Best Raised Toilet Seat
1. Drive Medical RTL12027RA Elevated Raised Toilet Seat
⭐ Best Overall
- Toilet Seat Riser with Handles: Our easy-to-clean toilet seats are designed for individuals who have difficulty sitting down or getting up from the toilet
- Raised Toilet Seat with Arms: The toilet seat adds 5 inches of height to your toilet seat, making it easier and safer to sit or stand.Use a non-abrasive detergent or household cleaner with warm water
- Adjustable Armrests: Easily remove or adjust armrest height to fit your needs; our toilet seat risers make perfect elderly assistance products and handicap accessories for daily living
2. Carex 3.5 Inch Raised Toilet Seat
⭐ Best Toiler Seat with Arms
No products found.
3. Vive Raised Toilet Seat
⭐ Best with Handles
- EASILY SIT OR STAND: Adding five inches of height to any standard or elongated toilet bowl, the raised toilet seat with comfortable padded handles makes it easier and safer to sit or stand without bending. A great bathroom safety solution for the elderly, those with limited mobility and those recovering from hip, knee or back surgery.
- CONTOURED DESIGN WITH PADDED HANDLES: Constructed with a durable composite material that supports up to 250 pounds, the seat is contoured to provide safe and comfortable elevated seating. Removable handles are padded with a soft foam that provides a secure nonslip grip for added stability when lowering or rising from the seat.
- EASY TOOL FREE INSTALLATION ON MOST TOILETS: Installs on any standard or elongated toilet bowl without removing the existing seat. The raised seat securely attaches with an adjustable knob and rear wings for added stability.
4. PCP Raised Toilet Seat
⭐ Best with Safety Frame
- PCP 7007 elevated toilet seat; Doubles as a stability safety frame & raised toilet seat
- Ideal for patient recovery from knee, hip fracture, back, lower body surgery, strains, muscle injury
- Medical grade, lightweight and portable moves between bathrooms; Easy to remove when not in use
5. HealthSmart Portable Elevated Raised Toilet Seat Riser
⭐ Best Portable
- RAISED TOILET SEAT ADDS 5 INCHES IN HEIGHT to any standard toilet bowl making it easier to sit and stand due to injury, surgery, handicap or disability
- TOILET SEAT RISER is a UNIVERSAL SIZE that fits most standard toilets and effectively relieves pressure points and general discomfort
- TOILET RISER includes 4 slip resistance pads that adhere the riser to the toilet bowl for stability and durability
6. Drive Medical Premium Seat Riser with Removable Arms
⭐ Most User Friendly
7. Essential Medical Supply Elevated Toilet Seat
⭐ Best Low Cost
- Installs under your toilet seat giving you a 3.5" rise: Don't forsake the comfort of your own toilet seat, use the easy to install Elevated Toilet Seat with Arms. It can safely be installed under your seat for your comfort and support.
- Arms make it easier to get on and off: The heavy duty arms will help you push off the toilet from a seated position, lower down easily and have something to lean on when seated.
- Wipes down easily: Don't worry about lingering stains as the plastic molded rail can be wiped down with any standard household clear.
8. Toilet Safety Seat for Elongated or Standard Commode
- ADDED 5" in HEIGHT: The Toilet Safety Seat raises the toilet commode by 5 inches. The elevated toilet seat with foam padded arms makes it safer and easier to sit or stand while using the toilet.
- ADJUSTABLE WIDTH ARMS: The two handles are adjustable in width to conform both narrow and wide body types. The width can be expanded from 18.5" to 21.5". The arms are removable and padded with a soft foam that provides soft grip but nonslip for safety and stability.
- TOOL FREE INSTALLATION: The installation requires NO tools. Simply attaches the toilet safety frame to toilet bowl with an adjustable knob in front and rear wings for extra stability and safety.
9. Vaunn Medical Elevated Raised Toilet Seat
- WIDE & COMFORTABLE RAISER - Unique ergonomic design adds 4" of height extension to your toilet seat to make it easier to sit down or get up from the toilet. Our premium elderly assistant toilet seat riser is intended for individuals that might be handicapped or disabled, experience limited mobility in daily activities, may be pregnant or seniors with bending or sitting difficulties
- SECURE & SAFE LIFT - Anti-slip surface, push pins and locking mechanism ensure a secure fit on the toilet bowl rim. Removable padded grab bar handrail handles ensure a comfortable grip and seamless edges provide a better sitting experience to maximize safety and security
- DURABLE & HYGIENIC - Toilet seat riser is ADA compliant and made with heavy-duty molded premium plastic that is resistant and can withstand frequent long lasting use
10. Vive Toilet Safety Rail
- SAFELY SIT AND STAND: Supporting up to 300 pounds, the compact safety toilet rail provides additional safety and security when sitting down or standing up in the bathroom. Perfect for seniors, arthritis sufferers and for those recovering from injury or surgery, the rail provides additional stability to prevent harmful slips and falls.
- FITS ALL STANDARD TOILETS: The compact toilet safety rail can be used with any standard elongated or oval toilet. Rail handles easily adjust in width for a customized fit for every household. Handles can be adjusted from 17” to 20” wide providing a comfortable amount of space above the toilet.
- SOFT NON SLIP HANDLES: Rail handles are padded with a soft foam for superior support. The textured handles create a comfortable, non-slip surface for a safe and secure grip when sitting or standing.
Recap: The Best Towel Warmer
Our Research Criteria
Aids For the Seniors
Thankfully more products are being made all the time to help seniors overcome these problems without the help of a full-time helper. A barrier-free shower or raised toilet seats can make all the difference in the ability of a senior to live in their own home longer.
While there are a number of products available to assist a senior with the day to day tasks there are a few that are a bit more important.
Equipping a bathroom for seniors is particularly important as these tasks are essential in daily living and tasks such as these can easily cause injury due to their nature.
Equipping a bathroom for a senior may take a bit of work but it will bring the peace of mind of avoiding injuries by doing such things as making floors non-slippery with rugs or non-skid floors, installing a sitting shower and a toilet raised seat.
Equip Your Shower For The Seniors
Your shower should include a no barrier entrance and a non-skid floor, to ensure that your senior is at no risk or falling or being stuck in the shower.
Shower controls should keep the senior from having to bend to reach them and the shower should have a heat control to prevent the senior from accidentally scalding themselves because they slip when using the faucet.
A raised toilet seats should be high enough that your senior keeps their weight above their knees and a handle should be installed near the raised toilet seat that allows them to steady themselves when they are trying to get on and off the toilet.
Equipping the bathroom for your senior does not have to cost a lot of money nor does it need to require a lot of remodeling. Most mobility improvements can be done with little effort and on a budget.
Properly Choosing a Raised Toilet Seat
Raised toilet seats are designed with the purpose of helping people that have limited mobility and need a safer way to raised and lower from the toilet.
Elevated toilet seats help those with arthritis or joint pain by decreasing the distance they must sit from a standing position to their toilet.
Raised toilet seats can fit on most toilets including elongated style toilet seats. There are several different types of designs to fit any person needs such as toilet seats with or without arms and also padded raised toilet seats.
Always be sure that the raised toilet seat is correctly and securely in place before using. Physically challenged users should be supervised or assisted whenever using an elevated toilet seat.
Toilet Seat Risers are designed for use with the most common types of commodes. It will not fit all commode types; be sure that the toilet riser is correctly installed, fits properly and is stable before use.
Raised Toilet Seats With Arms
On raised toilet seats with arms remember the arms are for the purpose of providing assistance when getting on and off the seat.
DO NOT try to use the arms to support full body weight during transfer, as this may result in failure of the raised toilet seat.
Elevated Toilet seats come in different heights from 2 inches to 6 inches. Most toilet seat risers are around 5 inches tall. Also, most raised toilet seats have a weight capacity of 250lbs unless it is specified as a bariatric (obese) raised toilet seat.
Make sure when choosing your toilet seat riser that if you require assistance with sitting and standing and are somewhat unstable on your feet the more safe option for you would be the raised toilet seat with arms.
Most toilet seats are lightweight and portable and easily attach to the toilet bowl without any tools.
Cleaning your raised toilet seat
1. Use a non-abrasive detergent or household cleaner with warm water
2. Rinse with warm water and wipe dry. Regular cleaning of the Raised Toilet Seat is recommended. Wipe all surfaces with a damp cloth and allow all surfaces to dry before use.
3. DO NOT USE AN ABRASIVE CLEANER OR CLOTH with this product, as damage may ensue.
4. Regular inspection of parts for deformation, corrosion, breakage, wear or compression is recommended.