Shower grab bars and toilet safety frames are made and designed for people that have trouble or need assistance when sitting and standing in the bathroom.
Some people use toilet safety rails because of recent hip or knee surgery and cannot put as much pressure on their legs and need help pushing off to get up from a toilet or commode.
Bathroom grab bars are very convenient and are very easy to attach to the back of the toilet frame by a bracket that holds it securely in place and keeps it from moving.
Best Grab Bars
1. Changing Lifestyles Safe-er-Grip 16″ Bath & Shower Handle
⭐ Best Overall
- Item will NOT work on dry walls
- Simply press the tab levers to securely attach.Toddlers can enter a wet and slippery tub safely
- Can be used on shower walls too
2. Amazon Basics Bathroom Handicap Safety Grab Bar
⭐ Best Stainless Steel
- Stainless steel construction
- Supports up to 500 Lbs.
- Complies with ADA Standards
3. Vive Grab Bar
⭐ Best Suction Grab Bar
- PLEASE NOTE: This is a suction cup device and this device will not work on a porous surface such as fiberglass. The device must be applied to smooth, flat, non-porous surfaces. It CANNOT be applied over grout lines and will not work on textured surfaces. We also recommend reapplying the grab bar once a week. It CANNOT support your full body weight.
- STURDY AND SECURE: Strong suction cup design only works on any non-porous, flat surface, including tile, glass, acrylic and metal. Provides a little extra stability when entering and exiting the tub or shower
- SIMPLE TOOL-FREE INSTALLATION: Grab bar is easy to install or remove from the tub or shower walls with locking latches to secure bar in place. For additional convenience, each latch has a color indicator for ensuring a safe and secure installation. A green display means the grab bar is secure and ready for use. Red will be displayed if the seal is not airtight. User must also be able to apply 10lbs of pressure to ensure they can use device clamps.
4. Stainless Steel Bathroom Grab Bar
⭐ Best 2-pack Shower Grab Bar
- 304 Stainless Steel Shower Handle- the material of the shower bar is 304 stainless steel, so there is no doubt about its firmness and safety. Shower handles can support up to 500lbs. 304 stainless steel handrail is durable and corrosion resistance. Please feel free to use our premium bathroom grab bars to make each bathroom safer for your family.
- Multipurpose Sturdy Design - the shower handles can not only be used as bathtubs and showers to protect your safety, but also put your towels, clothes, etc. Grab bars for bathroom- grab bars can provide good support for families in bathtubs, showers, bathrooms and other indoor locations to minimize the risk of slipping and falling.
- Easy to Install: each grab bars includes 6 stainless steel screws, 2.6 inch flanges, and a 3-hole flange design for stud installation. The shower rails has a total length of 12.79 inches and a diameter of 0.98 inches. Fixed installation in the required position, permanently ensure your safety and never came off.
5. Vaunn Medical Adjustable Bathtub Safety
⭐ Best Bathtub Safety Rail Shower Grab Bar
- BATHROOM SAFETY - The Vaunn Medical Bathtub Safety Rail provides support for individuals getting in and out of the bathtub – ensuring safety and preventing injuries or falls. (Note: Most falls happen when seniors get in or out of the bathtub.)
- SECURE CONSTRUCTION- Padded rubber clamp with strong locking mechanism allows rail to securely clamp on to the side of the tub. Heavy-duty, one-piece steel frame guarantees a firm, non-shaky grip. Durable construction supports individuals up to 300lbs.
- CUSTOMIZED FIT & TOOL-FREE ASSEMBLY– Width adjustable clamp allows tub rail to fit securely on any tub wall (3”-7” thick). Easy installation, no tools required. Tub rail will not leave unsightly marks or dents on the surface of the tub. Note: Not intended for use on fiberglass surfaces.
6. Moen LR2356DCH Home Care 16-Inch Screw-in Curved Bath Safety Grab Bar
⭐ Best Grab Bar with Shelf
- VERSATILE DESIGN: Chrome finish is highly reflective for a mirror-like look that works with any decorating style
- SUPPORTIVE DESIGN: Bathroom grab bar supports up to 250 lbs
- SUPPORTIVE DESIGN: Bathroom grab bar supports up to 500 lbs when installed in a stug or when using SecureMounts (not included)
7. Moen R8918P Home Care Concealed Screw Bath Safety Bathroom Grab Bar
⭐ Best 18 Inch Grab Bar
- PEENED: Features a textured slip-resistant finish
- SUPPORTIVE DESIGN: Bathroom grab bar supports up to 500 lbs when installed in a stud or when using SecureMounts (not included)
- SAFE AND SECURE: Optional SecureMount design for easy, secure installation (sold separately)
8. iMomwee SUS304 Stainless Steel Bathroom Grab Bar Handle
⭐ Best 40 Inch Grab Bar
- Able to support up to 500 lbs of pull force to provide a stable, reliable handhold; Made of rust-proof chrome finished stainless steel tubes for lasting strength and quality.
- Concealed secure mount design allows for easy, secure installation at any angle, allows you to cover any unsightly screw holes and continue a clean, sleek trend to your bath and shower.
- Use 40 inch extra long safety grab bars in commercial and residential places as in the bathroom, kitchen, along stairways, swimming pool, laundry room,toilet, bathtub and shower safety grab Handrails for additional fall prevention, especially for the handicap, elderly, pregnant women and children. Not only apply to use as bath shower grab bar, but also can hold clothing,towel and etc.
9. AmeriLuck 16.5inch Suction Bath Grab Bar with Indicators
⭐ Best 16 Inch Grab Bar
- 👍 【PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU BUY】 - (1)✔ This Suction Grab Bar only works on tile size LARGER THAN 4x4", (2)✔ The suction discs can not be mounted on grout seams. (3)✔ Make sure there's no texture on the shower wall, (4)✔ The mounting surface must be flat, non-porous and smooth for any other applications.
- 👍 【NO TOOL REQUIRED INSTALLATION】 - This tool-free Suction Shower Bar is easy to install. (1).Clean the rubber discs and the surface it is to be attached to thoroughly. (2). Press as hard as possible against the wall till the green indicators show up. (3). Press down on the flip-up easy release tabs, you will feel negative pressure. The greater the pressure, the better the suction.
- 👍 【SAFE TO USE WITH INDICATORS】 - The indicators on the side of the suction cup will change from red to green when a safe and secure hold is achieved. Before each use, test the firm hold of the suction device. Ensure that both indicators are GREEN. If the adhesion seems insufficient, release the suction assist bar and reattach again.
10. Carex Suction Shower Grab Bar
⭐ Best 12 Inch Grab Bar
- INSTALL & REMOVE EVERYWHERE YOU GO: Our suction shower grab bar features dual locking suction cups for increased stability & color-changing indicators to show when the bar is locked. Compact and lightweight for ease in travel & install in hotel rooms or guest bathrooms.
- EXTRA STRONG AND SAFE: The 12" Ultra Grip shower handle assists users in safely entering or leaving the bathtub or shower. The ultra strong, dual locking suction cups provide a secure hold mounted to any smooth, flat, and non-porous surface, for safety and support you can rely on.
- TOOL-FREE INSTALLATION: Easy to install and uninstall, the Carex Ultra Grip grab bar can be installed and removed without the use of tools. No tools, no fuss.Material:Plastic
11. Elderly Tension Mounted Floor to Ceiling Transfer Pole
⭐ Best Floor to Ceiling Grab Bar
- PREVENT FALLS: The Able Life security pole with support handle can provide safety and stability when transitioning between standing and sitting, stepping over bathtub or shower ledges, or getting into bed; safely supports up to 300 pounds of weight
- HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE AND TENSION MOUNTED: Adjust the floor to ceiling transfer pole to fit flat ceilings that measure 7, 8, or 9 feet tall; the included rubber pads protect both your ceiling and floor from damage
- VERSATILE: Use as a bathroom grab bar, chair standing handle, wheelchair transfer pole, or as a bedside support handle; the curved, ergonomic grab handle provides a natural location for the user to firmly grip the grab bar when standing or sitting
Recap: The Best Grab Bars
Reduce Injury With Grab Bars
Consumer and government reports have stated that the bathroom is one of the most dangerous rooms in the house! Grab bars are safety devices designed to enable a family member to retain stability and reduce exhaustion while standing in the bath. These bath accessories can hold some of your weight while maneuvering to sit on the toilet and allow you to have something to grab onto in case of a slip or fall on slick bath floors but there is more to these simple devices than meets the eye.
Once considered a luxury or simply a requirement for aging homeowners for tub and shower safety these fittings are now becoming the norm for middle class households. And while they are commonly installed in locations that contribute to falls they can be placed in any area of the house to greatly increase the safety in any home environment.
Bring Style and Security into your Lavatory
As their use has become increasingly popular, interior designers have learned to incorporate these accessories into the bathing facility not only as a safety component but also as a decorative element that sports an elegant style to enhance the space.
Manufactures have also caught on to the popularity of these items and have listened to consumer demand for more interesting railing designs to come out with an assortment of colors, shapes and sizes to meet the specialty and accessibility needs of specific individuals.
Injury Free Future
The most common reason to install grab bars is to increase accessibility and safety for individuals with a variety of disabilities or mobility issues but why wait for a mishap to happen. As common sense will tell you it’s best to have a map before you enter the woods because it will be too late when you get lost. Preparation is key to any successful endeavour. Not only will you not have to install one in the future but you will also be prepared if the unthinkable happens and you or a loved one slips and falls.
Choosing a Model
Researchers have found that the most comfortable thickness to hold on to is one that has a circumference of 1.25 to 1.5 inches that is installed approximately about an inch and a half away from the wall in order to grip the fixture effectively.
When choosing a grab bar model it’s important to select fittings that are durable. While there are various materials out there, a stainless-steel construction that supports up to 250 lbs. will guarantee longevity and a sturdy support.
Toilet Safety bars
Toilet Safety bars come in many different models but stay consistent in what they can do.
The safety rails can be adjusted for height for different size patients and also can be adjusted for width for those bathrooms with very small areas around the toilets by increasing and decreasing the width within the arms.
The toilet safety frames arms fold back for cleaning and are easily removed for patient transfers. The average weight capacity of a toilet safety frame is 250lbs and they average around 3lbs in weight.
Shower grab bars are usually associated with elderly people or individuals with a handicap who need the added support while showering. However, over 70 of accidents in the home occur in the bathroom. The installation of shower grab bars is a great way of preventing accidents in the bathroom.
The Two Types of Shower Grab Bars
There are two types of grab bars available on the market that you can choose from. They are removable and fixed shower grab bars. Let’s look at them in slightly more detail.
Removable Shower Grab Bars
The first type of grab bar is removable. These are convenient because they attach to the wall easily with a suction cup on each end of the bar.
To use this type of shower grab bar, all you do is to position the bar where you want it, press it against the wall and flip the button at each end. What this does is attach the grab bar to the wall by creating a vacuum in the suction cups.
One of the greatest advantages of this type of grab bar is that it is easy to install. You are also easily able to adjust them to any location in your shower or bathtub.
If you are going to be traveling, you can easily bring this type of grab bar with you to help you feel secure when showering or bathing in a hotel.
The main disadvantage associated with removable shower grab bars is that they are not created to support a person’s weight. Their main purpose is to act as a guide for balance while showering.
Because it is easy for the suction cups to release, a person putting their weight onto the bar can cause it to detach from the wall. This could possibly lead to injury for the person holding onto the grab bar.
Fixed Shower Grab Bars
For a more secure and better safety option, you will probably want to look into fixed shower grab bars. This type of grab bar attaches to the wooden studs in the wall behind the fiberglass or bathroom tiles.
While it will be more work to install these grab bars, they are far more secure and able to hold a person’s weight. If you purchase a set that is ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) compliant, they will be capable of holding a person up to 250 pounds.
It is important to note that most fixed shower grab bars come in lengths of 12-inch, 18-inch, and 24-inch.
While the studs that you are going to be attaching them to are usually 16 inches apart. Due to this, you will need to tilt one end of the grab bar up so it can be securely attached to the studs in the wall.
Safety in the bathroom is very important. Remember that 70 percent of accidents in the home occur in the bathroom. Investing in a set of shower grab bars is worthwhile to help you protect your loved ones. Read more on teak shower mat for added safety on the floor of the bathroom.
Shower Grab Bar Installation